Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Don't run ChkDsk to the degraded Virtual Disk

Recently I've done some review to few hard disk which configured with hardware RAID related cases, found that most of the hard disk replacement that lead to OS 'crash' is due to the server did gone through ChkDsk, either trigger by user or start automatically.
I do not know why until I found this article with the below statements:

"....Chkdsk is not RAID-aware. Its algorithms only work in the simplest cases. In general, it must be avoided. If chkdsk attempts to repair one or more member disks, the RAID data patterns will be destroyed, usually beyond recovery."
Frankly, I have no idea how true is the abovementioned statements, as I can't find any relevant info from Microsoft site. However, the experiences that I gone through with customer are real. In this moment, I think we should try to avoid running the Chkdsk when there is any hard disk failure (with hardware RAID configuration).

For more info, you may go to the link below:
http://www.quetek.com/RAID_mistakes.htm

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment